- 1 small cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Canola or vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 French rolls, cut into halves
- ½ iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Creole or whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ½ bunch scallion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, Creole seasoning, paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. In another large mixing bowl, add eggs, buttermilk, hot sauce and remaining salt and whisk to combine.
- Add ⅓ of cauliflower florets in buttermilk. Once the florets are coated with buttermilk, drain excess buttermilk and drop them into flour and cornmeal. Stir florets so that they are coated with flour. Shake off excess flour and keep them on a plate or baking dish while you dredge and coat remaining florets in buttermilk and flour.
- Heat oil in a frying pan until hot enough to fry. Drop 6 to 7 florets in hot oil and fry until golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer them to a paper towel lined plate. Repeat with remaining florets.
- Assemble sandwich: Spread remoulade sauce on both halves of roll. On bottom half, top with lettuce, tomato and fried cauliflower florets. Top with top half of roll. Serve immediately.