This recipe is either served as a side dish with Kathi or in place of a Shaak (vegetable).
- ¾ cup mung dal (without skin)
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- ¾ teaspoons turmeric
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons oilve oil
- Water as needed
- Pick through mung dal and rinse it.
- Heat two tablespoons of oil in a medium sized soup pot over medium high heat, 2 minutes. Add mustard seeds and let it sizzle, 30 seconds. Add asafetida, turmeric and chili powder. Add 1 ½ cups of water, mung dal and season with salt. Stir everything. Partially cover the pot and let it come to boil. Once it comes to boil, uncover the pot and let dal cook until the foam on top subsides, about 7 minutes. Cover the pot and let dal cook for another two minutes or until tender.
- Serve warm with Paratha or Rotali or over rice with Kathi.