(Spanish Pasta) This is a vegetarian version of recipe adapted from Chef Ken Oringer’s recipe of Fideua.
- 1 lb. angel hair pasta
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup any variety of mushrooms, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups assorted vegetables like cauliflower, bell peppers, carrots, etc., cut into bite size pieces
- ½ cup frozen or fresh peas
- 1 tablespoon Spanish paprika
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- Salt to taste
For Garnish and Serving:
- 1 cup mayonnaise or yogurt
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil & more for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ teaspoon Spanish paprika
- 2 bunch scallions, finely sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- Break pasta into small pieces. Heat oil in a wok or a large cast iron pan. Sauté pasta until it turns golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pasta from a pan, draining oil and set it aside.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent, 1 minute. Add mushrooms and sauté it until almost dry, 3 minutes. Add remaining vegetables except peas and sauté for one more minute.
- Move all the vegetables on one side of pan; add tomato paste and sauté for one minute. Add stock, season with salt and paprika. Add pasta and let it cook until the liquid have absorbed and pasta is cooked, about 10 minutes. Spread peas on top. Garnish with cilantro and scallions.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise, paprika, garlic and 2 teaspoons of olive oil until smooth. Garnish with dollops of mayonnaise over noodles in several places and serve remaining mayonnaise on the side. Drizzle some olive oil over top.