Tuscan Bean and Kale Soup
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes or to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 15.5 oz. cans cannellini beans
- 1 bunch Tuscan kale, chopped
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Drain and rinse the beans from two cans. Set aside.
- In a medium soup pot or a Dutch oven, heat 3 tablespoons oil on medium high heat. Add onions and sauté it until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, chili flakes, thyme sprigs and sauté for a minute. Add water or broth and bring to a boil.
- Add beans, kale and season with salt and pepper. Stir everything well. Cover the pot and let the soup cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until the kale is tender and wilted. Remove the thyme sprigs, adjust the seasoning.
- To serve, ladle the soup into soup bowls and drizzle about ½ tablespoon of olive oil on top of each bowl. Top the soup bowls with cheese and serve with grilled or toasted crusty bread.