Fried puffed whole wheat flour flat bread
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (best is Indian chapati flour)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, for dough
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- Water as needed
- Canola oil for frying
- Combine flour, salt and three tablespoons oil in a mixing bowl. Using water, knead into firm and smooth dough. Cover the dough with a plate or kitchen towel and let it rest for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Knead dough few times until smooth. If dough is sticky, rub it with one tablespoon oil. Divide the dough into about 25 to 30 small rounds (smaller than golf ball). Keep it covered with kitchen towel.
- Roll out each round into a round of three inch diameter (Puri) and with thickness of tortilla, 1 to 1 ½ minute. Spread it out on a plate or a kitchen towel and keep it covered with a kitchen towel.
- Heat oil in a frying pan until ready for frying. Deep fry Puri until light golden brown, three or four at a time, depending on pan size. When you first drop Puri in the hot oil, it should puff up, 30 to 45 seconds. To make it puff up, gently push the Puri in the hot oil with a slotted spoon or a spider. Turn it over once the underside is light golden brown. Fry the other side until light golden brown, 45 seconds to 1 minute. Remove Puri from oil with a slotted spoon or a spider draining as much oil as you can. Transfer Puri to paper towel lined mixing bowl or a plate. Serve warm with Shak (vegetable) (best is with Bataka Ni Sukhi Bhaji).