- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 green or red pepper, small diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon cracked wheat or masa harina
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 15.5 oz. can fire roasted chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup of water or vegetable broth
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans
- 1 15.5 oz. can red kidney beans
- 1 15.5 oz. can pinto beans
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans from all three cans. Set aside.
- In a medium soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium high heat. Add onions and sauté it until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, peppers and sauté for a minute. Add chili powders, cumin powder and oregano and sauté for a minute.
- Now add cracked wheat or masa harina and toast it until light golden brown. Push contents of pot to one side, add tomato paste and sauté it for a minute. Mix in with contents of pot.
- Add beans, tomatoes and water or broth. Season with salt and add honey. Stir everything well. Cover the pot and let the chili cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Adjust the seasoning and add little water if chili is too dry. Serve over rice and corn bread with the choice of toppings.
- Suggested toppings for serving: Grated cheese, Cilantro leaves, Sour Cream or yogurt, Small diced red onion, pickled jalapeno.