Vegetarian White Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, small diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 green or poblano pepper, small diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon masa harina or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 2 15.5 oz. cans cannellini beans
- 1 15.5 oz. can hominy
- Salt to taste
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Drain and rinse the beans from two cans. In another colander drain hominy. Set aside.
- In a medium soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil on medium high heat. Add onions and sauté it until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, peppers, cumin powder, oregano and sauté for a minute. Next add masa harina or all-purpose flour and sauté it for a minute. Add water or broth and bring to boil.
- Add beans, hominy and season with salt. Stir everything well. Cover the pot and let the chili cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Uncover and add lime juice. Adjust the seasoning and add little water if chili is too dry. Garnish with cilantro and serve over rice with corn bread.