Potato and Cauliflower Curry
- 1 medium size cauliflower, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium size potato, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 1 medium size onion, finely minced or crushed
- 1 medium size tomato, crushed
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely minced or crushed
- 1 small green chili, finely minced or crushed (optional)
- 4 tablespoons oil or to taste
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon asafetida powder
- ¾ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon garam masala (hot spice blend)
- 1 teaspoon dhanajeeru powder (spice blend of coriander and cumin powder)
- ½ teaspoon chili powder or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cilantro for garnish
- In a wok or wide heavy bottomed pan heat the oil. (You can use food processor to crush onion, green chili (combined these two), tomato, and ginger (combined these two). Add mustard seeds and let it sizzle. Add asafetida, onion and green chili. Add turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, dhana jeeru and sauté it until onion is light golden brown. Add tomatoes and ginger and let it cook until the mixture is almost dry.
- Add cauliflower and potatoes. Mix it well until vegetables are coated with oil and spices. Add salt, ½ cup water and mix it again. Cover the pan with lid and let the vegetables cook until fork tender, stirring from time to time, about 10 to 15 minutes. Just before serving garnish with cilantro. Serve warm with any type of Indian flat bread.
This is a basic recipe to cook any type of vegetables with gravy. You can cook the gravy with onions, tomato and spices and add any vegetables you like. You can also add paneer(Indian cottage cheese) with vegetables.