- 1 cup chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- Pinch of asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- Water or soda water as needed
- Canola or vegetable oil for frying
- Assorted vegetables (like 1 small potato, 1 small red onion, 1 very small zucchini, cut into slices, 4 to 5 cauliflower florets, 5 to 6 slices of butternut squash, 2 green chilies, ½ green pepper, 3 to 4 green beans, cut into bite size pieces or any vegetable you like)
- Put chick pea flour, spices and salt in to a medium size mixing bowl. Make a pancake like batter (thicker than tempura batter) with water or soda. Let it stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat oil for frying up to 350 degrees. Dip vegetables one by one into batter, covering the entire surface. Let the excess batter drip, drop it in hot oil and fry it on one side until light golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes. Turn it over and fry the other side until light golden brown, about 2 minutes. You can fry 6 to 7 pieces of vegetables at a time depending on the size of frying pan. Serve hot with cilantro chutney or ketchup.