- 2 cups basmati rice, uncooked
- 5 cups of water
- 1 small red onion, cut into thin half moon shape slices
- 1 small potato, cut into thin slices like fries
- 6 to 8 small cauliflower florets
- ½ small carrot, thinly sliced
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or ghee
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- 10 to 12 pieces of cashews
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, peeled and finely minced
- ½ finely chopped jalapeno chili (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder or red chili flakes
- 2 to 3 each whole cloves and cardamom pods
- ¼ inch piece of cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- Wash rice and soak it for 30 minutes to an hour (optional) and drain well.
- In a soup pot or Datch oven heat ghee or oil over medium high heat. Once it shimmers, add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and let them sizzle. Add cashew, raisins, cloves, cardamom pods, cinnamon stick and bay leaves and saute for 30 seconds. Add onion, garlic, ginger and garam masala. Let onion sauté until light golden brown, 2 minutes. Add remaining vegetables except peas, green chili and red chili flakes or powder. Stir the vegetables and sauté them for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add rice and sauté it for 1 to 2 minutes so that rice is coated with spices and oil or ghee. Add salt and water, stir everything and cover the pot. Lower the heat and let rice cook until fork tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. At this point you can also transfer the rice into 350 degrees oven and let it cook until rice is cook through, about 25 to 30 minutes. Spread peas on top. Let rice stand for 10 minutes, covered, before serving.