Shakkaria Bataka nu Shaak
Spicy Sweet Potato and Potato Chips
- 2 medium size bataka (potatoes)
- 2 medium size shakkaria (sweet potatoes)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- Pinch of asafetida
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dhana-jeeru (spice blend of ground coriander and cumin)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Peel and cut potatoes into ⅛ inch slices (like fries).
- Heat oil in non-stick or cast iron pan on a medium high heat. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle. Add curry leaves, asafetida, turmeric and chili powder. Next add potatoes and stir everything until potatoes are coated with spices. Season with salt and stir again. Cover the pan with lid and let potatoes cook until fork tender, about 10 to 12 minutes, stirring the contents occasionally. If potatoes stick to pan, add little water.
- Once potatoes are cooked, uncover and add sugar and dhana-jeeru. Stir and cook for one more minute. Garnish with cilantro and serve warm with any type of Indian bread.