- 1 package of extra firm tofu
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Mirin
- ¼ cup rice wine vinegar
- Oil for frying tofu
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped toasted peanuts, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Zest of one orange, for garnish
- Combine egg, AP flour and ½ cup water to make batter for frying tofu. Season batter with salt and hot sauce. It should be thin batter.
- Drain water from tofu package and then remove excess water from tofu by putting it between two baking sheets covered with paper towels and weighing it down with cans or a heavy pan. Then cut into ½ inch dice.
- Heat oil for frying in a frying pan until hot enough for frying. Coat diced tofu with batter and deep fry in hot oil in 2 to 3 batches, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer tofu to paper toweled lined plate.
- Combine soy sauce and corn starch, and make smooth slurry. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat 3 tablespoons oil until shimmering on medium high heat. Add ginger and garlic, and sauté them until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar and let it caramelize until light golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Deglaze pan with mirin and vinegar. Let everything cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add corn starch slurry and ¼ cup of water. Keep stirring and let sauce thicken, 2 to 3 minutes.. If sauce is too thick add more water. Add fried tofu and stir to coat with sauce. Let tofu cook with sauce for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Garnish with peanuts, orange zest and cilantro before serving. Serve with steamed rice and broccoli.