Gajar Ka Halwa
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and shredded
- 1 16 oz container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup each golden raisins and cashews (optional)
- 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) (optional)
- 1 cup sugar or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut, for garnish (optional)
- In a non-stick soup pot or frying pan, heat ghee slowly. Add ricotta cheese and sauté it until fragrant. Or start heating ricotta cheese in a pot or pan. Add cashews and raisins and sauté it for one minute. Add carrots and heavy cream. Mix everything and let it cook, uncovered, until all the water has evaporated, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally and watch it carefully so that it does not brown or stick to bottom.
- Add sugar and mix everything and again let it cook, uncovered, until all the water has evaporated, 12 to 15 minutes. Stir the mixture occasionally and watch it carefully so that it does not brown or stick to bottom. Let it cool down slightly, add cardamom and mix well.
- Transfer it to a pie dish or shallow pan and spread evenly. Garnish it with coconut. Can be served warm or at room temperature.