Serves: 1 Loaf
- ¾ cup lentils, half red and half green (French)
- ¼ cup brown rice
- Water as needed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- Cook brown rice in ¾ cups of water season with ¼ teaspoon salt. Add more water if needed to cook tender rice. Drain excess water from rice and let it cool down.
- Pick though lentils, wash them and put it aside while you prepare vegetables.
- Heat oil in a frying pan on medium high heat. Add onion, carrot and let it cook until onion is translucent, about 2 minutes. Add garlic, tomato paste and sauté them for 2-3 minutes. Add all the spices and sauté for one more minutes. Add lentils and 1 ½ cups of water. Season with remaining salt and let lentils cook, covered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Check lentils few times and add more water if lentils are sticking to pan. Drain excess water from lentils and let it cool down until cool to handle.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine cooked rice, lentils, flaxseed meal and cheese in a mixing bowl. You can either transfer to a loaf pan or form four small loaves and transfer to a baking pan.
- Combine ketchup and chili sauce in a small bowl. Brush the top of loaf or loaves with ketchup mixture. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the edges are turning brown. For the last 5 minutes broil to let top brown. Serve warm with mashed potatoes and green bean salad.