Vegetables and Chickpeas Tagine
The spices used in Moroccan Tagine recipes are very similar to spices used in Indian curries. I like to cook curries/stews with warm spices during winter months. It is very satisfying and comforting during cold season. I add chickpeas or lentils for protein to dishes like this.
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dhana-jeeru (spice blend of ground coriander and cumin)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely minced
- ⅛ teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup small red or yellow potatoes, cut in half
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup different color peppers, cut into strips
- 1 15 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 cup large green olives
- 2 preserved lemons, roughly chopped
- ½ cup roughly chopped dry apricots or golden raisins
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a mixing bowl make spice blend by combining all spices. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (optional, See step 3).
- In a large Dutch oven or oven proof sauté pan, heat olive oil on medium high heat for 1 minute. Add onions and sauté until translucent, 3 minutes. Add garlic, ginger, saffron and spice blend, and sauté until fragrant for 2 minutes. Next add tomato paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower florets, carrots and potatoes to pot. Stir to coat vegetables with spices. Add stock or water and bring it to boil. Season with 1 teaspoon salt and stir. Cover the pot and you can either cook vegetables on stove top or transfer to oven. Let vegetables cook for 10 to 12 minutes or just tender.
- Add remaining vegetables, preserved lemons, apricots or raisins and olives. Add diced tomatoes from can with juices and chickpeas. Season with remaining teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine everything and cover the pot. Transfer to oven or continue to cook on stove top for another 10 minutes or so until all vegetables are cooked through.
- Before serving garnish with cilantro. Serve with couscous and/or nan.