Bhel is a street food mostly available all over India. Bhel mix is mixture of puffed rice, crispy chickpea flour noodles and whole wheat flour crackers. It's party favorite food.
- 6 cups bhel mix
- 1 large russet potato, boiled and cut into ½ inch dice
- 1 medium red onion, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 2 medium Roma tomatoes, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 medium beet, shredded (optional)
- 1 15oz. can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup cilantro chutney
- ½ cup garlic chutney
- 1 ½ cups date and tamarind chutney
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 cup thin sev (crispy chickpea flour noodles) (optional)
- To serve, first put one cup bhel mix, top with ¼ cup each potatoes and chickpeas. Next top with 1 tablespoon each of onion, tomato, carrot and beet. Top with 1 tablespoon cilantro chutney, 1 teaspoon garlic chutney and ¼ cup date tamarind chutney. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon thin sev and then cilantro top. Everything should be mixed before eating. You can add more chutney and other ingredients according to your taste. You can also let everyone serve themselves according to their taste. You can increase amount of ingredients depending upon number of guests.
You can buy all ingredients for bhel in Indian grocery stores.