Country Fried Cauliflower Steak
This recipe is inspired by vegetarian episode of Guy's Grocery Games show on Food network.
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1¼ teaspoons black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
- Canola oil for frying
- Cut four ½ inch thick steak from cauliflower with stem.
- Season flour in a shallow baking dish with ½ teaspoon of each garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Whisk eggs and buttermilk in another shallow baking dish. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon black pepper.
- Season panko bread crumbs in a shallow baking dish with ½ teaspoon of each garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Dredge each cauliflower steak one by one in flour, eggs and then panko bread crumbs, pressing bread crumbs on steak to adhere. Keep the steaks on a wired rack baking sheet.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil for frying steaks in a large frying pan or a Dutch oven until ready for frying. Fry cauliflower steaks one by one on each side until golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer them to wired rack baking sheet. Bake steaks for 10 to 12 minutes until cauliflower is cooked through.
- Serve over couscous with roasted red pepper sauce and side of roasted asparagus or green beans.
Couscous with Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
- 1 cup Israeli couscous, uncooked
- 3 large roasted red pepper
- 1 cup or more raw cashews
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups or more water
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook couscous according to directions. Once couscous is cooked, drain and transfer to same pot and stir in olive oil off heat.
- In a blender make smooth sauce by combining peppers, cashews, tomato paste, and 2 cups water. If sauce is too thick, add more water. If sauce is too thin, add more cashews. Season with salt and pepper and blend for few seconds. Pour the sauce over couscous and stir to combine.
- Let couscous cook with sauce for 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm with cauliflower steak.