Whole Roasted Cauliflower
Follow the link below for recipe. This recipe makes a center piece for vegetarian thanksgiving. Use sauce from recipe as gravy. http://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/whole-roasted-cauliflower-with-poblano-vinaigrette-and-goat-cheese-cream-clinton-Kelly. Serve with nan and/or plain rice.
- 4 large or 6 medium Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Peel and cut potatoes into 1 inch chunks. Transfer them to a Dutch oven or a large soup pot. Cover the potatoes with water and add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cover the pot and let potatoes cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine milk, heavy cream and 4 tablespoon of butter in a small sauce pan and warm it.
- Drain potatoes once they are cooked and transfer them to same pot. On low heat, mash the potatoes with a potato masher or a ricer. Stir in half of milk mixture with mashed potatoes. If mashed potatoes are dry add more milk until potatoes have creamy consistency. Save some milk if you are not going to serve mashed potatoes immediately. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
Mexican Corn Stuffing
- 4 cups corn bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped, green, light green and white part separated
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, minced
- 2 cups frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco or finely shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 cup or more vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- ½ cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Spread out corn bread cubes in even layer into two baking pans. Bake corn bread cubes until bread is almost dry, 25 to 30 minutes. Let bread cool down.
- In a medium sauté pan, heat oil and 2 tablespoons butter until butter is melted. Add white and light green parts of scallions and sauté it for a minute. Add garlic, green chili, red pepper and corn. Season with ½ teaspoon salt, pepper and paprika. Sauté vegetables for 2-3 minutes to soften them slightly. Let vegetables cool down for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine mayonnaise and vegetable stock. Add corn bread, ¼ cup cheese and vegetables, and stir until bread and vegetables are well coated. Add more stock if mixture looks too dry.
- Butter 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Transfer stuffing to buttered baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake stuffing for 35 to 45 minutes until top is browned.
- Before serving garnish with green part of scallions and cilantro.
Charred Brussels Sprouts Salad
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1 navel orange
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup cilantro or parsley leaves
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Wash and trim Brussels sprouts. In food processor with a slice blade, slice Brussels sprouts.
- Heat large cast iron pan on high heat. Transfer Brussels sprouts to pan and sauté them until they are charred in several places, 10 to 12 minutes. Add minced ginger and garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Let Brussels sprouts cool down for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, cut orange segments. Squeeze juice from remaining orange. Add maple syrup and season with salt and pepper. Combine juice and orange segments with olive oil.
- Add cooled Brussels sprouts and stir with dressing. Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle pomegranate seeds and cilantro or parsley.
- 6 oz. fresh cranberries (1/2 of 12 oz. bag)
- 1 8 oz. can of mandarin oranges, drained
- ½ bunch of cilantro
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, roughly chopped
- 2 inch piece of ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ⅓ cup sugar or to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl of blender or food processor. Process it until almost smooth, keeping some texture.
- Makes 1 cup.
Apple Pie Bars
You can find the recipe on NYTimes Cooking.