- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 ½ cups or more of water
- 1 tablespoon Ghee or olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 to 3 whole cardamoms
- Pinch of asafoetida
- ½ teaspoon salt or to taste
- Heat Ghee or oil in a heavy medium pot. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle. Add remaining ingredients except water and salt. Add rice and sauté it until rice is coated with oil or Ghee.
- Add water and salt. Cover the pot and let the rice cook until soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add more water if necessary.
- Can be served with dal, Kathi and any vegetable curry.