- 2 15.5 oz. cans dark red kidney beans
- ½ cup masoor dal (red split lentils), uncooked
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, small diced
- 1 small russet potato, small diced (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 jalapeno or serrano chili, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 9 to 10 curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dhana-jeeru (spice blend of ground coriander and cumin)
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Water as needed
- Rinse masoor dal and transfer to a small pot. Add ½ cup of water, cover the pot and let dal cook on low heat until soft, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse and drain the beans from cans and set it aside.
- While dal is cooking, heat oil in a medium soup pot or a Dutch oven on a medium-high heat. Add cumin seeds and let it sizzle. Add onions and sauté them until light golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic, green chili and all the dry spices. Sauté everything until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Next add tomato paste and sauté for a minute. Add tomatoes, ginger and sauté for 2 minutes.
- If you are not using potato, go to step 4. Add diced potato, ½ cup water and season with ¼ teaspoon of salt. Cover the pot and let potato cook until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add beans and ½ cup of water. Let them heat on low heat until dal is cooking. As soon as dal is cooked, add dal and season with remaining salt. Cover the pot and let everything cook for 7 to 10 minutes. Uncover, add lemon juice and cook for 2 more minutes. Adjust the seasoning. If rajma is too dry, add some water.
- Serve warm with Nan or Paratha and over rice.