Sweet Potato and Chickpea Taco
This recipe is a fusion of Indian and Mexican flavors.
- 3 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ inch dice
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons chipotle chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 15 oz. can of chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 large poblano pepper, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon asafetida
- 10 to 12 fresh curry leaves
- 2 to 3 dry red chilies
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ cup grated fresh coconut
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- Juice of half a lime
- Salt to taste
- 18 to 20 small tortillas
- 1 cup crumbled Cotija or feta cheese
- Pre heat oven to 400 degrees. Line a large baking pan with aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Transfer diced sweet potatoes to baking pan. Drizzle potatoes with canola oil. Season with salt, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin and 1 teaspoon of chipotle chili powder. Toss potatoes to coat with spices and make even layer of potatoes. Roast potatoes until edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
- While potatoes are roasting, heat coconut oil in a large wok or frying pan until shimmering. Add mustard seeds and let then sizzle. Add asafetida, curry leaves, dry red chilies and let curry leaves fry for 30 seconds. Add turmeric and chili powder. Add poblano pepper and sauté it for a minute. Add chickpeas, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, and coriander powder. Season with salt and stir everything to combine with spices. Let chickpeas cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Once sweet potatoes are roasted, combine them with chickpeas. Add coconut, cilantro and stir. Let potatoes and chickpeas cook for 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Combine yogurt, lime zest, lime juice, ½ teaspoon cumin powder, and ½ teaspoon chipotle chili powder into a small mixing bowl. Whisk yogurt with spices to make it smooth. Season with salt.
- Heat tortilla on stove top or in a microwave. To serve taco, put about ¼ cup chickpeas and sweet potatoes on tortilla. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon chili-lime yogurt. Sprinkle with cheese. Other toppings can be added to taste.