- ½ cup neutral oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon or to taste cayenne pepper
- 8 oz. rice noodles (vermicelli)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 package of firm tofu
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 large carrot, cut into 2 inch strips
- 2-inch piece of ginger, finely minced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup green peas
- Juice of ½ a lime
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Drain tofu and remove excess liquid from tofu by putting it between two baking sheets covered with paper towels and weighing it down with cans or a heavy pan. Cut into ½-inch dice.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok or a skillet until shimmering and sauté curry powder and cayenne pepper for a minute or until fragrant.
- Soak rice noodles in 8 cups of boiling water for 5 minutes or until soft. Once soft, drain water and toss with curried oil, soy sauce and sugar in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a wok or a skillet until shimmering, Stir fry tofu until light golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes. Drain excess oil from tofu and transfer tofu to noodle bowl.
- Add remaining oil to wok or skillet until shimmering. Stir fry shallot, red pepper and carrot for 2 to 3 minutes. Add ginger and garlic and stir fry with vegetables for a minute. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add ¾ cup water or vegetable broth to wok or skillet. Add noodles with tofu and let everything cook together until water or broth is absorbed. Add peas, lime juice and stir.
- Before serving, garnish with scallions and cilantro. Serve warm.