Black eyed Peas Hot dog
- 1 15 oz. can of black eyed peas
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown or white rice flour or corn starch
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 2 to 3 cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil into a small pan, about 2 minutes. Add fennel seeds and let them sizzle, 30 seconds. Add shallot and red pepper flakes. Sauté those until shallots are translucent, 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté them for 3 minutes. Add tomato paste and sauté it for a minute with shallot and mushrooms. Let the mixture cool for 5 minutes.
- While shallot mixture is cooling, drain and rinse black eyed peas. Mash them into food processor until almost mushy.
- Combine spice mixture into a medium mixing bowl. Add mashed peas and shallot mixture. Add 2 tablespoons rice flour, yeast and Worcestershire sauce. Mix everything well. Try to form a small ball, if mixture does not stay together, add one more tablespoon of flour. Divide the dough into four equal parts.
- Cut about 1 foot of plastic wrap piece. Put one part of dough on to plastic wrap and form into about six inch hot dog shape. First wrap plastic wrap tightly around hot dog, then twist both ends of plastic wrap as tight as you can. Tie each end with a piece of twain. Poke few holes with a toothpick. Repeat the process for remaining three hot dogs.
- Boil water in at least 5 quarts of pot. Transfer the wrapped hot dogs to boiling water. Lower the heat so water is simmering. Let hot dogs simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from water and let them cool down, at least 30 minutes.
- Heat remaining oil into a large nonstick skillet. Brown the hot dogs on medium heat all around, about 5 minutes. Be gentle while turning hot dogs so they do not break. Serve them on your choice of buns and condiments.
Hot dogs can be made ahead.