- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, if needed
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon slivered almonds, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon unsalted pistachios, finely chopped, for garnish
- Rinse rice with water until water is clear. Let excess water drain and set aside.
- Mix milk and condensed milk in a non-stick medium pot or a Dutch oven and bring to a boil on medium heat, 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in between so that milk does not boil over.
- Add rice and immediately stir to keep rice kernels separate. Let rice cook until tender, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring in between.
- Once rice is cooked let kheer cook for 10 more minutes to make it creamy, stirring frequently.
- Add more sugar if needed. Off heat add cardamom and mix. Garnish with almonds and pistachio before serving. Can be served warm or chilled.
You will find this recipe in most regions of India.